35 Quick Questions
1. How would you describe your life in only eight words?
Mother, wife, writer, manic, airports, big Sunday lunches
2. What is your motto or maxim?
Never give up.
3. How would you describe perfect happiness?
Being with my family.
4. What’s your greatest fear?
Losing one of my children.
5. If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you choose to be?
On ‘Angel Balcony’ at our house in the South of France watching the sunset on a balmy July evening.
6. With whom in history do you most identify?
Queen Isabella I of Castille – she was the first goddess of multi-tasking; she ran a kingdom, rode into battle with her husband and had five kids!
7. Which living person do you admire most?
My husband … cheesy but true.
8. What are your most overused words or phrases?
9. What do you regret most?
Not knowing then what I know now.
10. If you could acquire any talent, what would it be?
Speaking fluent French and playing the piano.
11. What is your greatest achievement?
12. What’s your greatest flaw?
Being a pushover.
13. What’s your best quality?
14. If you could be any person or thing, who or what would it be?
15. What trait is most noticeable about you?
My tiny feet – size 35!
16. Who is your favourite fictional hero?
‘Heathcliff’ from Wuthering Heights.
17. Who is your favourite fictional villain?
The Chef/Hyena from ‘Life of Pi’.
18. If you could meet any literary character, who would it be and what would you say to them?
Jay Gatsby. ‘Can I see your shirts?’
19. What is your biggest pet peeve?
Negativity. And emoji symbols at the end of texts or emails.
20. What is your favourite occupation, when you’re not writing?
21. What’s your fantasy profession?
I’m doing it.
22. What 3 personal qualities are most important to you?
Honesty, positivity and kindness.
23. If you could eat only one thing for the rest of your days, what would it be?
Cheesepuffs with a glass of Provençal Rosé wine.
24. What are your 5 favourite songs?
a) ‘Morning Mood’ – Edvard Grieg
b) ‘The Man Who Can’t be Moved’ – The Script
c) ‘You’re the Voice’ – John Farnham
d) The whole soundtrack to ‘Les Miserables’
e) ‘Being Alive’ – Stephen Sondheim.
25. Who are your favourite authors?
F. Scott Fitzgerald, the Brönte Sisters, Gustav Flaubert, Hilary Mantel, Edith Wharton.
26. What are your 5 favourite books of all time?
The Great Gatsby, Wuthering Heights, Life of Pi, Madame Bovary, Wolf Hall.
27. Is there a book you love to reread?
Anything by F. Scott Fiztgerald and Edith Wharton.
28. Do you have one sentence of advice for new writers?
Don’t stop until you reach the last word
29. What comment do you hear most often from your readers?
30. What were your previous occupations?
Ballerina, Actress and Toilet Roll Saleswoman.
31. What was/is your favourite job?
Being a novelist – how lucky am I?
32. Where did you go to High school and / or college?
Drama School in London.
33. Name of your favourite composer or music artist?
34. What is your favourite movie?
35. What is your favourite television show?
‘Downtown Abbey’ or ‘The X Factor’!